Home for Life™ Essentials:
- A minimum 60” diameter turning circle in the work area (in front of, or adjacent to, the sink, fridge, cooktop and oven)
- Waste pipe under the sink brought through the wall at 12” – 14” to the centre of the pipe from floor level. This enables the homeowner to lower the sink without having to reroute plumbing.
- At least one section of lowered countertop with no cabinetry (or removable cabinetry) below. Lowered sections of countertop will be:
- between 30” and 32” high
- a minimum of 30” wide
- a minimum of 19” deep
- Removable cabinetry beneath the sink OR retractable cabinet doors with no toe kick
- All counters mounted between 32” and 34”from the floor
- Upper cabinetry hung no higher than 16” from the surface of the countertop, except where the Alberta Building Code states that they must be higher (e.g. around cooktops)
- Height adjustable kitchen cabinets. Various options are available on the market.
- A rear draining sink
- Electrical switches located in the side of cabinetry rather than at the back
- A counter cooktop with front or side controls
- A wall-mounted, side-opening oven with a heat-proof slide-out work surface beneath
- Flooring that runs under counters (to maintain a finished look if they are ever removed)