Home for Life™ Essentials:
At least one full (3-piece) bathroom that can be reached without climbing stairs* which contains:
- A 60” turning circle(s) in front of, or adjacent to, the toilet, sink and shower
- A minimum 34” of clear space between the edge of the toilet bowl and the nearest wall OR the option to easily expand the bathroom without relocating plumbing
- Waste pipe under the sink brought in at 12” – 14” to the centre of the pipe from the floor. This enables the homeowner to lower the sink without having to reroute the plumbing.
- A minimum 60” x 60” shower area with no threshold
- ¾” plywood sheeting installed around the toilet and shower according to the illustration below. Plywood sheeting provides the greatest amount of flexibility for positioning grab bars, should they be needed. Minimum ¾” plywood is required to support the weight of the average user.
- A turning circle that will not impede the user’s ability to close the door. A pocket door or outward swinging door may be required in smaller rooms. The turning circle may extend into the shower area but is not ideal.
- Removable cabinetry beneath the sink OR retractable cabinet doors with no toe kick
- Flooring run under the sink to maintain a finished look should cabinets need to be removed
- Toilet located next to a full-length wall